Why do we package our products? We all do it in one form or another—we use photo mounts, easels, folders, albums and folios, we use boxes and bags with tissue paper and ribbon, we use boutique packaging options offered by labs. There is a very good reason… proper photography packaging PROTECTS and ENHANCES. It protects the products from being damaged during delivery and for safe-keeping, and it enhances the product’s appearance and perceived value—your packaging will help form customer’s opinions of your work. So, needless to say, packaging is pretty important.
Here’s a quick check-list of packaging MUSTS that we pulled together to help you evaluate your photo packaging and to determine whether or not your packaging is “working” for you…
- Protect the product and make it easy for the customer to transport it.
- Enhance the product’s appearance.
- Increase the perceived value of the product in the customer’s eye.
- Be economical—Remember the 5% rule?!? Packaging should never exceed 5% of the purchase price of the product.
- Be easy and not too time consuming to assemble.
Now, take a minute or two to think about your photo packaging…
Is it doing its job?
What does your packaging say about how you perceive the value of your work? What does your packaging say about how others perceive the value of your work?
There are hundreds of photo packaging options and photo supplies available for photographers… you just have to figure out which packaging options work best for your products AND make the most sense for your business.
Remember… you sell priceless memories. Would you carelessly put something priceless in a cheap plastic bag? I hope not!!!